Yesterday, I became a true European- I bought a whole crate of
shelf milk. When we moved here, this was one of the changes I had a hard time
adapting to. I missed my plastic gallon of cold milk, located in the refrigerator section of the grocery store. Though, like so many other things, I have conformed and we are now a “shelf milk family:).”
Some facts re: shelf milk:
Borden
Shelf Stable milk is premium grade 'A' fluid milk. It requires no refrigeration
until the package is opened.
Ordinary
milk is heated to 161 degrees during pasteurization and packaged in a carton or
plastic container. After cooling, bacteria begins to take a toll on the milk
and refrigeration is immediately required to slow spoilage.
Shelf
Stable Milk (also known as U.H.T. milk) uses a different process. The milk is
heated to 282 degrees (thus the term Ultra High Temperature or U.H.T.) during
pasteurization eliminating all bacteria in the process. Using Aseptic
Technology* the milk is packaged in a special container that seals out light
and air.
The
taste is the same.
The
texture is the same.
The
color is the same.
The
nutritional values are the same.
Only
the process is different.
Because of the U.H.T. process and aseptic
packaging, shelf stable milk remains fresh up to six months. Once the container
is opened it reacts like regular milk and must be refrigerated.
No comments:
Post a Comment