Happy 4th of July to our dear American Friends and Family!!! We thought of everyone so much today, knowing that every other year we are with friends and/or family watching the fireworks tonight. I especially thought of Adrie and Elle watching fireworks together since they were 1-year old. I brought over some 4th of July tops for the girls to wear, and then remembered tonight that I forgot to have them wear them today (maybe tomorrow!). I think with Matt working today, we completely forgot that it was the 4th. We were invited to watch some fireworks tonight in Heidelberg, at a USA Military Base, but decided to pass due to everyone continuing to be a tad tired. Next year, we are going to make sure that our summer trip to Iowa includes 2 things, 1) attending VBS at Papa and Nana’s church and 2) being home for the 4th of July:)!
Below are some pictures of our new home. I still have some more decorating to do, but wanted to make sure to have the space for some of the items I will pick up during our travels! Even though we have not even been here for 1-week yet, it is really starting to feel like home. I did not include any pictures of the basement or 3rd floor. The basement is pretty much just laundry and Matt's "tool room" (another room is a recreation room but we do not plan to put anything in it) and the 3rd floor is for guests, Matt's office and storage. Note to Guests: you do have a floor to yourself, including a Queen Bed and your own shrunk (our air mattress made it too)! So, PLEASE COME VISIT US ANYTIME:)!!
First of the pictures...Matt and my Bedroom. Our bedroom includes my “office,” where I Blog and try and learn German after the girls go to bed. As you can see, the German homes do not have closets but instead “Shrunks.” I had to fold a large majority of our clothes, due to our shrunks having limited hanging space.
Britta’s Room
Elle’s Room
The Living Room Area
| Yes, we were watching "Friends" on television!! |
| The cabinet is filled with none other than....TOYS! |
Kitchen
| The Girls' Kitchen |
Entry Way
| Yes, that is a Urinal Toilet:) |
Some other noticeable differences in our German home/neighborhood, compared to our USA homes:
1) No garbage disposal. We have two separate trash cans, one for plastic and paper and the other for “trash” (one of the trash cans go out every Wednesday morning).
2) After every time the dryer is used I must empty out the water; there is no vent from the dryer to the outside.
3) There are cigarette vending machines on numerous blocks throughout the town/neighborhood.
4) It is okay for someone to budge in line, if they do not have a lot of items to check out.
5) The girls always get samples of meat and cheese when at the grocery store...though then Britta wants, "more, more, more!!"
6) I already mentioned the fact that there are no closets, only shrunks.
7) ALL the appliances are “mini” compared to the appliances in the USA; even the beds are low to the ground and small.
Well, tomorrow my friend Sherry is taking me to the Doctor so I can get my nails looked at (the girls are of course coming along too:). So, this will be my first experience with the medical system in Germany. Then, she is going to be so kind to complete some errands with me and show me where all the "hot spots" are:). She is then heading back to the States for a month, so I am so thankful she can take the time to do this with me before leaving. Again, Happy 4th of July...we miss you all. Good Night.
Guten morgen, Kristina. Wie geht es? I don't speak German much and remember nodding a lot as a couple explained how Munich's Glockenspiel worked in very specific German I took my mom & dad over to watch the Sac City fireworks Sunday evening. They were short (13.5 minutes) but nice for a small town.
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed with your blog. I've been wanting to write one but never quite get around to it. I do enjoy reading what other people write. Adjusting to living in Europe does take some time. Goes milk come in "bricks" like in Spain with a shelf life of 3 months if you don't open it? The photos of your home look so nice- you've done so much in the week you've been there and you'll be so amazed (and maybe even a tad bit jealous)at how fast the girls will pick up speaking German. Have a great adventure! Tammy