Today, thanks to my friend Sherry, I “survived” my first visit to the German Doctor:). Sherry was able to communicate with the receptionist my personal information (i.e. date of birth, health insurance, etc.) and once I was able to see the Doctor, he spoke OK English. The Doctor was able to prescribe a nail medication (a liquid I apply over ALL my nails, once a day, for SIX MONTHS!!); but in this process, I learned that the German pharmacist (at an Apotheke- see photo) has more latitude when it comes to prescribing medications (than in the USA) and it is quite often faster to go directly to the Pharmacy, explain your symptoms to the pharmacist and get the proper medications in no time. I learned that I could have received the SAME nail medication, that the Doctor prescribed, without a prescription. Thus, with hindsight being 20/20, I should have just gone to the Apotheke and started the exact same nail medication four days ago and saved a trip to the Doctor. But, it is good to have this new experience crossed off the list (visiting a German medical clinic), when indeed it was not a medical emergency, rather, just a disgusting one:). The Doctor did offer me his cell phone number, for any medical issues after regular office hours. Now, he may just be an extra nice Doctor (and no he was not flirting-lol), but I think he also liked how we have private insurance and he knows that when he sees anyone in our family, he will always get paid (Germany has socialized/universal healthcare system). Overall, a very positive first experience…now, let us pray we do not have to return for a LONG time and can always take Sherry with me:)!!
On another “interesting” note…the girls and I did some shopping with Sherry before the Doctor. In looking at the various milk, she pointed out that I can buy “shelf milk” which is good for MONTHS…as long as it is not opened. For example, one of the containers of milk I was looking at was good until the end of October (unless of course we would open it and then it would be good for 1-week). I know that I could do this…but at this point in time, my comfort-zone is still telling me to just stick with the refrigerated milk that is good for a week or so. We do not need to try too many things all at once…we must ease into this process:)!
Then, after nap, the girls and I went to pick up Matt’s shirts at the dry cleaners (conveniently located right across the street from our house, so it looks like I will not have to learn to iron afterall!!) and then to one of the nearby meat markets. Unfortunately, as I entered the store I noticed that I forgot my “cheat sheet” at home (including German words for beef, chicken and pork). But, since the girls and I were already there we still bought some meat…I just pointed and smiled and had NO IDEA what I was actually purchasing. Thus while grilling tonight, I cooked the meat extra long to make sure it was done (since I did not know if I was cooking beef, children, pork, lamb); we were pleasantly surprised to find out it was marinated pork filets.
Well, tomorrow, we have our first play-date with a fellow Expat John Deere Family! Elle is very excited because the little girl’s name is also Ellie. We hope to enjoy some water activities in the “garden” since it is once again, warming up around here. Good Night my dear family and friends……

No comments:
Post a Comment