Good Evening. Today, was a big food day… we started the day by visiting one of the local grocery stores, Reve. When we visited this store on Tuesday, we had a difficult time communicating with the employee working the meat counter. SO…today, we went better prepared, knowing how to say, “one half kilogram of Virginia Ham please” in German. We had a more successful visit by being able to say (without any perfection whatsoever), “eine halbe kilogram Virginia Ham bitte.” Also, the store was not very busy so we were able to look around and find a variety of different food items to try…along with some familiar items like German Pringles and Oreos!
Then, to our very happy, happy surprise…a lovely American friend brought us some additional housewarming gifts …American foods!! Who would guess that we would be so excited about receiving some very common American foods such as Triscuits, Kraft Cheeses, Lucky Charms, Hormel Hot Dogs, Kraft Mac N’ Cheese, Orville Redennbacher Popcorn, Tostitos Chips & Salsa, Princess Fruit Snacks, Tyson chicken nuggets and some Ribeye Steaks! After receiving the steaks, this concluded that we officially “needed” to buy a grill. Thus, Matt went to one of the local “Home Depots” and bought us a Weber gas grill! Tonight, we once again mixed American and German foods for dinner!
The girls wanted to eat outside for dinner, but now, we are experiencing below average temperatures. The girls and I wore jackets and tonight, we actually have the majority of our windows closed! On Tuesday, when we arrived Germany was experiencing above average temperatures. It appears there is no happy-medium when it comes to temperatures this summer; it was this way in Iowa too!
Tomorrow, I hope to unpack the FINAL 2 boxes of clothes, hang our final pictures on the walls, make a run to Toys R’ Us (finish installing the last child safety-gate), and start on laundry. I think laundry is going to take me awhile, considering the washer and dryer are HALF the size of our American ones (this being true for ALL the German appliances). Elle keeps calling our refrigerator “cute” because it is so small!! Well, good night my family and friends…
Hi Kristina. Do you have as much trouble w/ the metric system as I do/did? When I was going to grad school I never did figure out how much cheese to buy using kilos- finally, I just asked for so many slices of cheese. How big of a city do you live in now? Are you going shopping for food much more often now because the fridge space is so much smaller? I think it's a daily ritual when we're in Spain- except for Sunday, of course.
ReplyDelete