What a weekend!!!
*Friday: The girls and I went swimming at our favorite indoor aquatic center- the Aquadrom. The girls and I had fun using the outdoor “steam pool” that even included a waterfall we could swim behind (it was 65 degrees outside). The girls giggled at all the bubbles the waterfall would create!
*Saturday AM: I had my first German haircut and hair color. To provide you with a quick summary of this event, “MISS COMMUNICATION!” At one point, I was texting Matt telling him I was about ready to start crying. BUT with hair, I always keep it in perspective because it is hair. It will grow back. I think I confused the ladies when I started talking about high lights and low lights and demonstrating how I only wanted a trim. It is OK- just too short (or at least considering the fact that I was/am trying to grow it out) and too dark.
Saturday PM: We had our first John Deere Expat dinner. Our entire family had A LOT of fun meeting so many new families. There were close to 50 adults there and 40+ children. The only time we saw Elle was when it was time to eat. Otherwise, she was running around the Forum with all of the other children. Britta had a lot of fun too. Often I would see young teenage girls carrying her around; she appeared to be having a good time and enjoying all of the attention from the older girls.
| Inside the John Deere Forum in Mannheim |
| Britta and Elle in the Forum play room before the majority of other children arrive |
Sunday AM: We UNFORTUNATELY learned how to visit the Emergency Room in Germany. Elle and Britta were playing outside, and as usual, Britta was trying to keep up with her older sister and fell. Surrounding our deck is a small flowerbed that has large rocks all around it. Britta fell into one of the rocks, creating a large and deep cut on her forehead. Matt was outside with the girls, and when he carried Britta inside the house I could have just fainted- but instead I went into “Mommy mode” and said, “load up, we need to head to the ER!” Thankfully, I had been proactive and had all of the addresses and phone numbers we needed for this type of situation. It took us approximately 30-minutes post the accident for Britta to actually receive some medical help. She never lost consciousness, was never confused, and never sick to her stomach- but was in A LOT of pain. Overall, our experience at the Emergency Room was positive; we were able to see the Doctor in a timely manner, everyone spoke “some” English and all of the professionals were pleasant. At the end of the visit, the hospital required that Matt pay cash for Britta’s medical service. I will then submit the receipt to our healthcare provider; this is the same procedure of our Pediatrician too. We are requested to pay cash and then submit the insurance claim ourselves. This is just another difference from our medical practices in the States, to those here in Germany. Overall, Elle was very concerned about her little sister. As soon as Matt brought Britta inside, Elle grabbed the Tylenol and band aids. BUT, we did see her age come through while driving to the hospital. While driving, Elle asked Matt if he had his wallet with some money. Initially, we thought good idea Elle since it is always good to have lots of cash on you in Germany since credit cards/debit cards are not always accepted. Then, she followed up her first question with, “can we get ice cream when we are done getting Britta’s owie looked at?” Matt and I just looked at each other, rolled our eyes and smiled. It actually felt good to have a little “comic relief” in such a high stress moment.
Sunday PM: We watched “Tangled” and relaxed as a family. We were so very thankful that Britta’s accident never really affected her overall demeanor (see pictures below). She is such a strong little girl. We feel so blessed to have two such great little girls!
We hope that each of you had a nice weekend too, but with no visits to the Emergency Room!! And Cyclones, I hope you are enjoying what will probably be your last win of the season- j/k.
| Britta's owie....but still smiling... |
| And still reading her books:) |
Oh no!!! So glad Matt was home during Britta's fall and trip to the ER. And hopefully you've checked that adventure off your list of German to-dos for good! Go Cyclones! The Slingbox certainly was worth it to watch the game. Hugs to all of you!
ReplyDelete