Monday, September 5, 2011

Weekend Recap: Enjoying some new restaurants and relaxing!


A picture I took Saturday evening as we visited an old and beautiful restaurant located on a farm in the hills of Heidelberg; due to the gorgeous weather we were able to eat outside and enjoy the peaceful scenery.  I thought the picture described Germany: beer, a Porsche and rustic and historical monument in the background.  Since living here for two-months, some other words I think of to describe Germany are: Schnitzel, Spatzle, pretzels, environmentally conscious, cigarette smoking, bike riding, the elderly feeling entitled, BMWs, Audis, the Autobahn, HISTORY, Smart Cars, breath-taking views, breads, pastries, pommes with ketchup and mayo and any and all types of “Wursts” and sauerkraut!  I am sure I could think of many more, but these are just a few that instantly pop in my head…

Britta loves schnitzel and spatzle:)!  Matt and I wished we had brought our video camera, she was being quite the little ham while eating:)!!  So far, we have only had pork schnitzel (or so we think); it is a dish made with boneless meat thinned with a mallet, coated with bread crumbs and fried.  Schnitzel is most often served with spatzle; it is a side-dish consisting of a soft-textured egg noodle.  Spatzle is thought to be a German comfort food.  


 We had heard rave reviews re: the steak served at this particular restaurant.  The restaurant owners feed and butcher all of their own cattle and all of the food is homegrown and fresh.  Matt and I were disappointed with the overall flavor or our steak, although Matt and I both agreed we are not going to find an Iowa steak in Germany (it is rare for a cow to be corn fed).  Elle thought the steak was good and enjoyed eating her Pommes with ketchup:)!  But, the atmosphere was lovely and the girls had an enjoyable time, as did Matt and I.

Britta exfoliating her legs with dirt while Elle walked the “balance beam.”

Attempting yet another “Sisters” picture:)

Elle thought Britta may want to hold hands for the photo…I am not quite sure about that!

Elle checking out the cows


After dinner, Elle assisted me with making a breakfast casserole for Sunday morning (all weekend I tried different recipes in preparation for our guests this coming weekend).

This morning, we attended church; I left church today feeling so revived!  The opening hymn was, “The Church’s One Foundation;” this is one of my favorite hymns.  Also, after the Offertory we always sing the Doxology, which makes me think of my Gramps and Grams's house.  I was filled with happiness, thinking back to standing in Grams's kitchen with the entire family, singing the Doxology before enjoying one of her famous meals!  We also sing, “Let Us Break Bread Together” during the Communion.  And, since the church is located on a USA Military Base, an American Flag and a German flag are located in the chapel.  I know it may sound strange, but something about seeing our flag, while in church, provides me with a sense of pride and comfort.  I do miss the USA and all of the comforts and luxuries I had taken for granite.  I feel blessed that we were able to find an English-speaking, traditional, protestant worship service in Germany.



After church, we enjoyed the laid-back shopping district; it was laid-back because all of the stores were closed besides the restaurants.  Usually, the streets are filled with people shopping at all of the designer stores.  We choose to eat in a small little cafĂ©.  The girls had a lot of fun with each other while I got our table ready and Matt ordered our meal.



This week, Elle will start her regular school schedule.  Britta and my activities do not start until next week (i.e. music class, MOPS, PWOC).  Britta and I plan to get ready for our guests this weekend and get in some walks, while Elle is at school.   Friday will be our “FRIDAY FUN DAY, “ so we will have to start thinking about what fun activity the girls and I will do!!

Thank you Papa Donavon and Nana Becky for a FUN Skype date tonight:)!!  I asked Elle tonight if she prefers talking on the telephone or using the computer to talk with Papa Donavon and Nana Becky.  Elle said, “I like the computer so I can see their faces and their home.”  She also had lots of questions re: “Papa’s froggies” and how the froggies eat the worms!!

Have a safe and enjoyable week.  Love to all…

No comments:

Post a Comment