Monday, September 19, 2011

Elle's "Million $$" Ear--or really, "Million Euro" Ear!!

Good Evening family and friends.  By tonight, I can at least talk about what occurred today with Elle’s ear without becoming teary…. even though, everything is OK and I am trying to keep everything in perspective, lately, I just feel emotionally exhausted…

Today, I called our German Pediatrician to schedule the girls’ flu shots.  I shared with her that I thought Elle could get her shot too, since her ear appeared to be doing better.  I told the Doctor that since Thursday, there had been fluid coming out of the ear and she was no longer complaining of the pain.  The Doctor responded, “WHAT, there is fluid coming out of the ear??!?  This is not good, you must come in immediately.”  Well, since I did not attend medical school, I had no idea that fluid coming out was a “red flag” of something more serious going on in the ear drum.  When I got off the phone, I had feelings of guilt and anger.  I felt guilty that as Elle’s Mother I did not recognize this to be a more serious problem.  I felt angry that I was living in Germany and had not been able to see our American Pediatrician the day Elle began complaining of ear pain—or at least the SECOND time she began to complain.  But, I took a few deep breaths and proceeded onward. 

This afternoon, we visited the Pediatrician and indeed, NOW Elle has a serious ear infection.  She was prescribed a hefty dose of antibiotic, two medicated nose sprays and a medicine to assist with thinning her mucus.  I feel so bad for her.  Elle continues to do very well with taking all of her medication.  She thinks the nose spray tickles, which I am happy about because personally, I HATE nose spray.

We will go back to the Doctor in one-week for follow-up.  I pray Elle’s ear begins to heal.  Now I must close this Blog entry because I am getting very behind on all of the health insurance paperwork.  We need to stop visiting Doctors so much and getting all these prescriptions!!

On a happy note, Matt plans to accompany us to Elle’s school tomorrow morning for drop-off; Matt has not seen Elle's school yet.  Elle is very excited to show him around.  At dinner tonight, she told him, “it [the school] is so beautiful Dad” and wondered what he was going to wear!!—LOL!

Good Night.  Love and prayers….

No comments:

Post a Comment