Tuesday, September 13, 2011

What to do...what to do...


Today, we visited the Pediatrician to have Britta's forehead looked at (to ensure that there was not any infection) and have Elle's left ear looked at- again.  Since swimming last Friday, Elle has been complaining of ear pain; two nights in a row, she has woke me up due to pain.  We visited the Doctor two weeks ago, for Elle's Kindergarten Physical, and at that time Elle had a middle ear infection.  Today, the ear infection was much worse and the Doctor stated that at times, it could feel like there is a knife stuck in her ear.  She "prescribed" two medications, NEITHER being an antibiotic (drops to apply to the tongue and nose spray).  I know in the States we may overuse antibiotics at times, but I am not entirely comfortable with never prescribing them either.  I am not an “all natural” and homeopathic type of person; I like American antibiotics.  

Then, to the next issue…I brought along Elle and Britta's medical records so the Doctor could review and copy them (I had forgotten to bring their complete medical records with me to the last appointment).  While looking over Elle’s vaccinations, the Doctor stated that Elle needed ANOTHER Measles, Mumps and Rubella vaccination AND ANOTHER chicken pox vaccination.  Before leaving the States and when I initially arrived in Germany, I was told that all of the vaccinations that the girls had received in the States were sufficient and that Britta would need her 2nd Hepatitis A vaccination after 18-months (we will get this in the States in November) and that Elle would need a vaccination or two before entering Kindergarten in the States when she was 5-years old.  NOW, I am being told she needs all of these other vaccinations, after already receiving the sufficient doses in the States.  The Doctor said that Measles are still very prevalent in Germany, hence the need for another vaccination.  BUT, in the case of a vaccination, is more necessarily better?

Matt has late dinner meetings all this week, besides on Thursday night; Thursday night I plan to call Elle and Britta's Pediatrician in the States to discuss (when I can call around 1PM USA Central Time).  I did not get the prescription for the “additional” vaccinations filled (ANOTHER HUGE difference—I must take the vaccination prescription to the Apotheke, have the vaccinations mixed, pick them up and then take them to the Doctor for injection).  I did get their flu shots filled and I am planning to have the girls receive their flu shots next week, though even this makes me uncomfortable given the entire process.  I undoubtedly and firmly believe in the importance of vaccinations, but to be honest, they have always made me a little nervous too.  I have always kept my own records, along with the clinic records.  I do not know... I just wish some of the medical practices were more similar to what I have been accustomed to for the past 31-years!  Tonight, I am saying a lot of prayers.  I am asking the Lord to provide me with the wisdom to make the best medical decisions for my girls.  I know I must trust the medical professionals here in Germany, but there were just so many things today re: this appointment that I was uncomfortable with.  Like I said before, I plan to talk with our American Pediatrician on Thursday and talk with other mothers in Germany regarding their children’s vaccination schedules, etc.

I am asking for some prayers tonight…once again, I have that sick and uneasy feeling in my stomach tonight…

Good night family and friends…

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kristina! This is Kamille Breuer... Jason Breuer's (John Deere) wife. We have been keeping up with you guys and praying for all your adventures and new experiences in Germany!
    To this post I wanted to offer up something that I have recently discovered for our family. And also allows ME to the the family "Dr" and not rely on physicians ALL the time. Essential Oils. And specifically an essential oil company named doTERRA. I have joined doTERRA as an Independent Consultant simply because I could not quit sharing them with my friends and decided to take the "plunge". You may check out info at http://iamdrmom.blogspot.com/. This is another consultant who has put a lot of good information out there. If you have more questions or want more info, PLEASE let me know.
    And remember... more people are thinking and praying for all of you than you even know.
    Much love & light from North Dakota~Kamille

    ReplyDelete