Monday, September 26, 2011

An ALL-AMERICAN Shopping Spree:)


WHAT.A.DAY!!  Thanks to my friend Julie, I was able to visit the USA Commissary Grocery Store---THANK YOU!!!  It was definitely a new type of “shopping spree” for me.  1) I had to show my USA Passport to enter base, 2) I have never before experienced a “rush” when entering what would be comparable to Hy-Vee—LOL!  In the States, I disliked going to the grocery store but today, it was nice to be surrounded by things familiar to me (not only the products but EVERYONE speaking English).  I enjoyed being able to read what was written on the boxes.  I enjoyed being able to understand the nutritional contents without having to get out my iPhone App to complete the conversions.  The bottom line: I enjoyed knowing what I was actually buying for once!!  Besides food and drinks, I also purchased vitamins, skin & hair products, toothpaste, diaper cream, Pedialyte, etc.  Even though Germany has MOST all these items, there is something about using the familiar once in awhile that feels really good.  IT.WAS.AWESOME!  Tonight, we enjoyed a delicious 100% American meal- grilled steaks, loaded baked potatoes, and green bean casserole.  We should definitely be good until after the Yew Year on our American products.  Though I feel proud of myself that our family is entirely self-sufficient on German products, it feels overwhelmingly satisfying to have some American goods in our kitchen cupboards for a change! 

Good Night family and friends…

No comments:

Post a Comment