Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Recap of Our Final Week in the USA

Today marks our last full day in the USA until Thanksgiving.  I am finding that going back to Germany is bittersweet.  I am ready to go back to get back into a routine- a routine where I actually work out, watch what a eat, the girls go to bed at a good time, we have our own home and I once again complete the mundane day to day tasks.  A year ago, I did not know anything re: living abroad, and today, I feel pretty confident.  So, I should be able to actually enjoy the simple things with more appreciation and pleasure.  I know what to expect and know how to get around.  Elle will be attending a private international school this Fall, so I already have less anxiety re: how to communicate with Elle’s teachers considering the primary language at her school is English and not German.  I have been elected into a leadership position in the newly established MOPS International Group, which will allow Britta and I to be actively involved in the organization every Wednesday and Friday morning.  Elle will continue in her German ballet class every Thursday and Britta and I will start a “Mommy and Me” German ballet class.  So, we have a lot of activities to keep us busy and our life feeling like “normal.”  We plan to visit Berlin in August, Nuremberg, Stuttgart and Munich in September (Matt has 4 college buddies arriving in Germany late September for Oktoberfest), Prague for my birthday in October and Paris in November; our travels will feel “low key” compared to the spring and we are looking forward to this!  And, with Matt having some “guy time” at Oktoberfest, I am going to be working on planning some “ladies time” picking out pottery in Poland!


BUT, I am not ready to go back because my family will not be there with us.  The past 6-weeks have been so much fun.  As I sit here typing, I am filled with happy memories and it saddens me that I will not see my Mom & sister for months and that my sweet little girls will not see their best buddy, Papa Donavon, for months.  I pray with my entire heart and soul that when we return on November, life is the same…that illness and tragedy does not affect those that I love the most.  I pray that the holidays are just as they have always been…magical.  My life has been blessed…and I pray that my family and I continue to have a positive experience living abroad.  I pray that we can continue to learn from those around us and the international experiences we have.  I pray that I continue to be open-minded to the Germans way of life and to continue to learn how to better relax, take care of myself and trust in the Lord.  It has been a perfect 6-weeks spent with family and friends…an absolute perfect summer.  Thank you to everyone who made it so perfect and special.  I love you.

I will Blog again once we are back in Germany and through the worst of the jet leg… please pray for our safe travels.

The majority of the pictures below are from Matt's hometown county fair.
Britta driving around Elle and Cousin Marshall



Matt finishing up a lot of left-over sweets... homemade ice cream and cookie dough on a stick!!



My sweet nephews...


Britta catching a rabbit and winning a prize!


Elle trying to catch a chicken!!!


Britta enjoying one of Nana Karen's big rolls





Some more swinging at Big Papa and Big Nana's Farm

Lounging around at Papa and Nana's house

Thank you Mom and Dad for creating such a cute & special bedroom for my little girls.  Thank you for allowing your home to be our American home.  We love you.






No comments:

Post a Comment