Since we arrived back in Germany, we have been making quick little trips to the grocery store. Due to our sleep deprivation, neither Matt nor I have had enough energy or mere desire to do the big shopping trip. Today, Britta and I finally “stocked up,” and as usual, received multiple odd looks from the German shoppers. Again, it is common practice for people here to shop every other, if not EVERY day, so people do not understand it when they see an entire cart full of food. As an American, I like to shop once per week if not every other week, and then pick up an occasional item here and there (i.e. milk, eggs). Honestly, I am trying to adapt to the German culture and not “live like an American” while living in Germany, but I do not see the point in shopping every day, especially with a 1-year old (and sometimes 3-year old too) and with the weather being rainy every day. Often, I actually hear people sigh standing in the check out line behind me. In the past this made me extremely anxious but now I figure, I am actively contributing to the German economy so I can buy as many items, at one time, as I like. I am respecting the culture, though I am an American- and proud of it:). So, another item crossed off the check list. Now, hopefully I can enjoy some sleep from at least 11:30PM-4:30AM without interruption).
![]() |
| Fridge #1 when we returned to Germany on January 3rd; Matt LITERALLY cleaned out the fridge while we were gone! |



No comments:
Post a Comment