Elle
officially has first day of attending her new International Preschool behind
her and…IT WAS A SUCCESS!!
Last
night, Elle and I completed all of the “necessary” pre-school preparation. We labeled all of her new school belongings,
she took a nice long shower (Elle is quite pleased with herself that she is
showering alone these days:), requested a change of finger nail polish and we
choose one of her new uniform ensembles, with matching accessories:)!!
This
morning, Elle woke up with PURE EXCITEMENT…”It is my first day of school
Mom!!!” And then, I read a text from my friend Kari, stating that her son Will (one of Elle’s friends) was not going to
be there today because unfortunately he was ill. Elle is good friends with Will and was
finding much comfort in knowing he was going to be attending her new school
with her. When I told Elle the news, her
eyes got big and I could see a look of panic in her eyes. I tried to spin it into something
positive…”this way Elle, you will be able to meet even more new friends…” but
Elle was not buying it. And then with
honesty and bravery she said, “I feel scared Mom.” I told her that it was completely normal to
feel a little bit nervous re: attending a new school, meeting new people, etc.
and reassured her that I would not leave until she felt settled in.
When we
arrived to school, Matt & Britta looked around, while I assisted Elle with
getting settled in. We met her new
teacher, Miss Victoria, placed all of her school belongings in their
appropriate spots, put on her house shoes, and found some books for her to look
at on the carpet with some other children.
It did not take long and Elle hugged me saying, “bye Mom, see you after
lunch.” SHE AMAZES ME. Even though I wanted to stick around longer, I accepted my cue and told Matt
and Britta to hug her good-bye and out the door we went (Britta was the first
one out the door, ready to hop in Elle’s car seat and play with Elle’ baby:)!!!
When we
left the school, Matt then went to work and Britta and I came home. It felt so weird not having Elle home with
us. It is interesting…for weeks I have
been thinking, “it will be nice for Elle to get to school so we can get into
our routine.” Or when out shopping with
both girls, “it will be nice when I am only grocery shopping with one
child.” BUT then, when Elle was not with
us, I missed her; yet another bittersweet moment in my life. She is growing up so fast…I just want to take
in every moment I have with her…because every moment is so incredibly
special.
When we
picked Elle up, she came running over to Britta and me. She was SO EXCITED to tell us about her day
that she was talking loud and 100mph!
All of her classmates said, “see you tomorrow Elle!!” And one little girl, Anika, even gave Elle a
nice hug good-bye. It sounded like it
was a perfect first day. And “sadly” she
said, “I was really not ready for you to pick me up Mom. I was enjoying listening to the story.” Well selfishly, I WAS ready to pick you up…because
I missed you very much and could not wait to hear about your first day of
school Elle. I just love you and love
being with you.
Oh and
on a “funny” note… Elle’s new school requires that she wear leggings, biker
shorts, etc. under a dress or skirt. So
this morning, I remembered that Elle needed to wear a pair of biker shorts
under her skirt. When I handed them to
her, her eyes lit up…she said, “really Mom!?!?!” I did not know what this meant, I said, “you’re
excited to wear these?” (with confusion in my voice). She said, “YES- these are just like what you
wear under your dresses!!!!” Then, I was
devastated- I realized she was referring to my SPANX that I wear from time to
time under my skirts and dresses. Yes,
my daughter observes EVERYTHING I do, and was happy to be wearing “Spanx” under
her skirt…just like Mommy:)!! I love
that girl so much. Oh, the sweet innocence
of being a child.
GREAT
FIRST DAY ELLE!!! I am so extremely
proud of you!


No comments:
Post a Comment