Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Feeling Fortunate

Our solution to sand CONSTANTLY being in our home- "dip your feet before coming inside:)!!"

Recently, when the girls and I have been walking around the neighborhood, I am once again reminded how fortunate we are to have our own garten (a.k.a. backyard) located directly behind our home.  As I have shared in previous blog entries, due to Germany having so many inhabitants (82 million), in such a small area of land (comparable to Idaho), many people live in apartment-like housing developments.  Thus, it is not uncommon for people to have a “schrebergarten” acting as their backyard.  A schrebergarten is basically a 15 foot x 30 foot piece of land that someone owns.  They must travel away from their actual home to enjoy their schrebergarten.  Once they arrive, they are able to grill, play in the grass, grow a garden, relax, etc. (see the pictures below).  Often, there are multiple schrebergartens located in the same area that are simply divided by a fence on all four sides.  So, the fact that the girls and I can enjoy planting flowers, mowing the grass, playing in the sand and playhouse and grilling all while still at home we feel very, very fortunate.  


Elle decided to remove the toys and have a slightly different place to relax:)
My Gardener:).  Britta loves helping with the flowers much more than Elle does.

Planting some new Chrysanthemums

Our finished project:)
Multiple Schrebergartens



No comments:

Post a Comment