Thursday, September 20, 2012

JESUS, my FRIEND


Thank you to my parents for always teaching me about my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  As a child and teenager, I did not always see the “purpose” in attending Sunday School, Confirmation Class and regular Sunday Worship.  But due to their persistence and continual Christian role modeling, I have been able to face so many challenges with an open mind and trusting heart.  While living in Germany, I have been given opportunities that have allowed me to continually work on strengthening my relationship with Jesus.  


Below is an article that I was asked to write, encouraging Mothers to attend our Friday morning Bible Study.  Though writing this article and reading Jill Savage’s book, REAL Moms…REAL Jesus, I was once again able to reflect and strengthen my Christian faith.  Thank you Patricia, for offering me so many recent opportunities to share the wonderful gifts of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.


As a mother, have you ever felt like there is not enough of you to go around? Have you ever felt alone? Physically and emotionally tired? I know that I sure have!

After my second daughter was born, my husband and I decided that I would no longer work outside the home, but rather commit myself to being a “stay-at-home” mother. With this decision came a lot of change and some accompanying personal struggles including having to accept and adjust to putting my career aspirations on hold to focus solely on the needs of our family. I very quickly found that being a stay-at-home mother to a newborn and a 20-month-old was more work than once managing a mental health department consisting of 65 employees.

I felt so guilty for having these feelings. I KNEW that I should feel blessed for being able to stay at home and for being the mother to two such amazing little girls. But I felt tired, unappreciated and sometimes, very alone. I would often pray, “Dear Lord, Heavenly Father, please forgive me for feeling tired. Please forgive me for not having the strength to be at my best. Please forgive me for not being the mother I have longed to be.” I felt like a failure.

Then slowly, I started talking about my personal struggles to my husband and more importantly, I started to have more of an open relationship with Jesus. I no longer had these “downer” sessions with Him, but rather I began having conversations with Him. I started to rethink how I thought of myself as a mother. I began praying, “I know I am not, nor will I ever be, a perfect mother, Lord, but please give me the strength and guidance to be the best mother I can be for my daughters. Just please be with me and do not give up on me.” Prior to this “revelation” I was always asking for forgiveness instead of simply asking for His guidance and strength.

And as of recent, I have entered into an entirely new domain! After reading Jill Savage’s REAL Moms, REAL Jesus, I feel an even bigger weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. I recognize that Jesus is my friend.  I now realize that Jesus understands and “gets” the struggles I experience as a mother. I know that he understands me, accepts me, and loves me unconditionally; thus, there is never any reason for me to feel guilty when I am having an “off day.” As Jill writes, “He already knows our needs, but He longs for us to trust Him and invite Him into our daily life.” Jill makes clear the importance of us, as mothers, to have a true and meaningful friendship with Jesus. As mothers, we have SO MUCH in common with our Lord Jesus. Jesus knows firsthand how it feels to be in high demand. He knows what it feels like when everyone wants a piece of you. How amazing is this?!

Please join us for Bible Study tomorrow at Freie evangelische Gemeinde in Leimen from 9:30-11:30 a.m. as we learn together what it really means to enter a real friendship with Jesus and real friendships with each other. We will read and discuss one chapter from REAL Moms…REAL Jesus each week.  Childcare check-in begins at 9:15a.m. I hope to see you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment