Thursday, September 13, 2012

Many Options

I remember growing up only being exposed to Spanish.  During Junior High, High School and College I took Spanish classes.  A nearby town had a large population of Mexicans and thus, Spanish was often heard and seen while shopping at stores like Wal-Mart.  ATM machines had the option to be operated and viewed in Spanish.  But, Spanish was about it.  I have found that living in Germany, we have the option to view things in MULTIPLE languages considering that almost every country that borders Germany speaks a language, other than German.  It would be like Nebraska, Minnesota, Illinois, South Dakota, Wisconsin and Missouri all speaking languages other than English.  While living here, I have learned that the far majority of people speak AT LEAST 2 languages.  Many of the children is Elle’s school are currently learning FOUR languages.  It is hard for me to even understand this concept, again, since I truly only speak English (and not even the most proper of English at times:).  It is just interesting to see firsthand how the world operates so differently from where I grew up.  Our first official International MOPS meeting starts on the 18th; we are anticipating Mothers from India, Pakistan, Germany, France, America, Hungary, Ukraine, and China.  I will be the facilitator for the English group.  I am definitely getting exposed to some diversity during this European Adventure and for this I feel blessed!
A recent DVD we purchased, had multiple language selections:)

No comments:

Post a Comment