Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Bikes, bikes and more bikes

Since moving here, I have gotten much more comfortable with driving in the various nearby cities.  Initially, I was always freaked out that I was going to hit someone on a bicycle because they are seriously EVERYWHERE!  I have seen ages 2-95 riding them!  They even have their own stoplights and lanes (see the picture below).  When I am driving in Heidelberg, it is not uncommon for me to have a tram behind me, a bicycle beside me and a car or bus in front of me!  Again, since this country is the size of Idaho with 82 million people, people use public transportation at a much higher rate than any city in the USA (they must- there is no space to park!).   To put this in perspective, California has a population of 37 million people.  Matt and I often comment that we should buy some bikes (there are a ton of beautiful bike paths/trails), but for now, I guess we will just keep driving and walking everywhere!
All the bicycles have an "old fashioned" appearance to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment