Yesterday
marked both my Mom’s birthday and our friend Marie’s 18th Geburtstag. Since we could not celebrate with my Mom (we
will next month:), the girls and I decided to celebrate with Marie last evening. Marie watches the girls for a few hours every
week and has become someone very special to our family here in Germany. It is interesting how in life, with every new
journey, I have met some very special people (I have not seen my Eau
Claire friend Larissa since 2007 and YET- we email almost every other week).
This
fall, I was constantly visiting the Apotheke (a.k.a. in the USA Pharmacy) due to
Elle’s continual ear infections. Since I
was a “regular” in the Apotheke, Marie’s mother, Linde (Linda) shared with me
that her 17-year old daughter was great with children and would enjoy watching
Elle & Britta for a few hours every week.
I had a lot of respect for Linde so I thought it would be nice to have a
“German Lisa.” We had Marie over and the
rest is history…from day one, we knew she was a compassionate, intelligent and
fun young woman- someone the girls would love.
Marie
turned 18 years old yesterday; turning 18 is a huge German birthday. At 18, a person can vote, buy hard alcohol
(they can buy beer at age 16) and most importantly DRIVE a motored vehicle.
Marie said that driving to school was hands down the best part of her birthday, finally
having the independence to drive solo. At
her party she shared with us that she had been to the grocery store 4 times
that day for her Mom just so she could drive:). Marie’s party
started mid-afternoon and went into the wee hours of the night. In Germany, it does not matter what day of
the week your birthday falls, you always celebrate on your actual
birthday. Marie’s maternal grandmother
even took the train for 4 hours to get there (but she does this every other
week to visit). Last evening, Marie was
surrounded by friends, neighbors, and family!
It was a great party! And though we only new a Marie's family and a few other people, everyone was so welcoming and gracious that we had a fun time!
We were
happy we could celebrate with her. Of
course we wished we could have celebrated with Nana Becky too, but we thought
of her throughout the entire day (even more than usual)! And, we heard that Papa Donavon even sent her
roses to school!! What girl doesn’t love
getting roses:)!!
Awwww I got a shout out!! Thinking of you!
ReplyDeleteFUNNY- I wondered if you would notice:). You will always be a friend of mine, no matter how many years pass... you are an amazing woman.
Delete