Monday, June 27, 2011

Sitting in the Rockford Hotel...tomorrow, we leave for Germany...

Last night, Matt said good-bye to his parents…and today, we sadly said good-bye to mine.  We tried to leave as though simply saying, “see you soon…” but it was still emotional...

Even though, since leaving for college, I have not lived in close proximity to my parents, I have always known they are close by.  I think it is the fact that we are SO FAR away from home that I am so emotional; the fact that I cannot just get in a car and go see our friends & family whenever I want…the fact that to plan a trip back home will take some planning.  Though, I am filled with so much fear today, I know that with any big change comes the fear of the unknown.  I remember when I went to college and graduate school being filled with the fear of not being able to succeed…I remember when I became pregnant I was filled with the fear that I would not be the mother I had dreamed of being …I remember as my career advanced I was filled with the fear of not being able to do the job adequately…but the moments in which I have been filled with the most fear and questioned whether or not I could do something, have today, been the most rewarding moments of my life.

So, here we go…the time is finally here.  For months, it seemed like this process was taking forever…and then, the month of May and June FLEW by…but it is definitely time to get this adventure started!  We have said our good-byes and look forward to the day in which I can hug my Mom, Dad and sister at the airport.  I look forward to the day my girls can once again yell, “Papa, Papa, Papa…” and “Nana, Nana, Nana!!” I look forward to coming home to see my sister-in-law and her family…my youngest nephew will probably be walking!  Hopefully, with today’s technology the world will seem a little smaller.

Tonight, we are staying in Rockford, IL and tomorrow, we will wake up and drive to O’Hare International Airport.  We wanted to break-up the road trip for the girls, since the plane ride along will be enough “sit time.”  Elle again is enjoying the hotel room and keeps asking questions like, “are my flip flops going to fly out of the big plane” and “how are we going to get on the big plane?”  We ask that our friends and family please pray for us…pray that we safely arrive to our new temporary home country and pray that we can safely and happily experience living abroad for 2-years.  Let the adventure officially begin (starting with our FIRST plane flight with a 16-month old and 3-year old—LOL).

No comments:

Post a Comment