Thursday, August 11, 2011

An "American Day" including social interaction for both Mommy & the girls- yeah!!


I am feeling so much better by already this evening.  A huge THANK YOU to all my friends and family for the “pep talks” and words of encouragement!  I could not be going through this adventure without the support of each of you.  And through the usage of the Blog, I feel like you are all traveling right beside me.  Thank you!

Today, the girls and I had a MOPS play group at Luisenpark in Mannheim.  It did me A LOT of good to be around other American Mothers who could communicate to me in English- yeah!!  Really, I think more than anything, what is contributing to me feeling isolated is not being able to talk with other adults, in English, often for an entire day (besides of course when Matt comes home:).  In the States, I had neighbors, Mothers/teachers at the Montessori, I had people in the grocery store, the employee scanning my items at Target, anywhere I went I was talking with people in the only language I have spoke my entire life (unless of course you count the Spanish skills I used on Spring Breaks-lol).  So, it was a lovely day and many of the Moms could relate to my current feelings; many stated that they too experienced many of these same emotions when they first moved to Europe/Middle East.  Though, they stated they could still live the “American life” on Post and had the support of each other, for many of their husbands were deployed and they needed to lean extra hard on each other for support.  Some of the Moms “friended” me on Facebook tonight and one Mom offered to take me on Post someday if I need an “American fix.”  Elle and Britta enjoyed playing with the other children too.  It was so cute, but for some reason made me sad too, but leaving the park Elle said, “did you have fun talking to your new friends today Mom?”  Elle is such an intuitive, kind and sweet little girl; she must have been picking up on me feeling slightly “low” lately, which I never would want her to see.  But, on the other hand, it is positive that she knows and sees it is OK to feel sad sometimes and to feel these emotions, that it is OK to not feel happy all the time.  And that we need to reach out to those that we love when we feel this way.  I am sure I will be asking her the same question when she starts Preschool in a couple of weeks; “did you have fun with your new friends today Elle?” 

Matt and I also talked about making a valiant effort a couple nights of week to learn German as a family.  Elle will of course be speaking only German at her new school, Matt takes language classes for one hour two times a week and I am to begin my classes next month.  It may help with me feeling less vulnerable and alone if I could communicate more with the people in the grocery store, the meat market, bakery, post office, etc.

When Matt got home from work, we were greeting him with water balloons!!  We found some while getting some groceries after nap.  It was good for ALL of us to have some good ole’ silly family fun and to laugh with one another.

Elle soaked after Daddy got her with a water balloon:)



Hello Kitty ice cream:)





 At every zoo, the girls favorite animals are the farm animals!!  TRI-B Farms, feeds/houses 13,000 pigs...but it took us moving to Germany for the girls to show such an intense interest in pigs!!  Last night going to bed, Elle said, "Mom, that pig was so silly laying in the mud; I love pigs"  In November, we can show them a lot of smelly pigs!

I was attempting a cute sisters picture...no success:)


We did not get time to ride a boat...next time



The gift shop had this cute John Deere we could have bought.  I tried buying a wooden flower chandelier for Elle's room...I asked the employee "how much" (of course through my iPhone app) and she told me it was not for sale-bummer.

Thank you again…I truly have the best family and friends in the entire world!

No comments:

Post a Comment