![]() |
| Elle playing in our little pool this morning |
Just when things were going “up”…the ride quickly comes back “down.”
![]() |
| Britta taking a juice break:) |
First, Tuesday night Elle woke me up around 2AM to tell me that her stomach hurt. I slept with her for about 10-minutes and then 30-minutes later, I heard her on the monitor crying. I ran into her room and she was throwing up. She was a sick little girl. She then came into Matt and my room since her bedding was a mess and I could keep an eye on her. While lying in our bed, she got sick again. But, the little sweetie woke me up so I could hand her the bowl. She woke up feeling fine…BUT Mommy did not. While at the grocery store, getting Elle foods for the “BRAT diet” I got sick in the grocery store bathroom. Unfortunately, we had the stroller and not the mini with us so needless to say, it was a LONNNNG walk home. The girls were both big girls and allowed Mommy to be lazy all day so I could rest; if I walked around too much I would get very sick. Around 4:30PM, Matt came home from work early, due to having the same bug; we would take turns watching the girls so one of us could rest. It was a LONG day, but thankfully, we all woke up feeling better today AND thankfully Britta appears to have avoided the entire flu.
Last week, our John Deere relocation agency, strongly recommended that we switch internet providers. They stated that we could save 20Euro per month and it would be considerably faster. So today, the internet installation man arrived at eight at 9:00AM (first German appointment that has been on time). When he arrived, he was both surprised and irritated that I could not speak German. I told him, REPEATIDLY, that I did not speak German though he continued to try and speak to me in German (yes, I can say this in German because unfortunately, I have to say it A LOT to people). When he would attempt to communicate with me, he would just pace back and forth and put his hands up in the air. I decided to call one of our relocation agents, who of course is bilingual and could be the “middle man.” I was disappointed that even with this occurring, the installation still did not go smoothly. I just felt uncomfortable the entire time. At one point, he had to search our entire house for some specific outlet??? Finally, a friend of his who spoke English came to assist him. By having someone present that I could communicate with did help elevate some of my anxiety and frustration, but he informed me that with the new internet service we would lose our American home phone number, which is through the internet AND that we would no longer have wireless?? WHAT?? Finally…I just cried...at this point, they had already been here for 3.5 hours and our home was a SAUNA due to their being no air conditioning. It was the “straw that broke the camel's back.” I could not fathom the girls and I not being able to conveniently call my family and that I would not be able to relax while typing my Blog at night (the ONLY “ME” thing/time I really have these days). I said I would pay them for whatever time was lost, but that I did not want them to complete the installation. To make this very, very LONG story “short” or at least come to an end:)…in a few days, we should have the appropriate cables, etc. for our American phone number to return and for us to again have wireless internet. In my opinion, this process IS NOT worth saving 20Euro a month…but, we are now too far along in this process to turn back. I know it is not that big of deal, it is just AGAIN, the language barrier; the language barrier is so burdensome and difficult on me. It is really, really starting to ware me down. I just cannot stand how these simple daily tasks and services are so difficult, I am a very independent person, and without speaking the language, I feel so helpless and vulnerable- I seriously HATE it.
So FINALLY, after they left 4.5 hours later…the girls and I took a nap. I decided to nap with them because I just needed a mental break from Germany. They of course feel asleep quickly…Elle on my left arm and Britta on my right arm. As I was watching them sleep, Britta sucking on her pacifier so peacefully…and Elle laying there so peacefully…all of the morning stressors seemed to disappear and I was able to put everything in perspective. The main things in life were right there on my arms… I have two beautiful, bright, loving, fun little girls…for that moment, I was able to forget about language barriers and thank the Lord for blessing me with Elle and Britta…
After our nap, we still managed to head off to another local pool (when I say local, it is usually a 10 minute drive to another town). It was a pool that some of the MOPS mothers had talked about. The girls had A LOT of fun and of course had to bring both of their water babies to swim too:)!! Elle is getting a tad too confident with her “swimming” skills (once jumping in without me looking), but I had a talk with her about swimmer’s safety (AGAIN) and I am happy she is enjoying the water so much these days. Britta too LOVES the pool. Finally, at 7PM I told them we needed to leave and go grab dinner. I had two little girls leaving the pool in tears…they both wanted to stay longer. **Pool pictures at the bottom**
Tonight, I am typing my Blog posting on Word and will then copy and paste it either later tonight or in the morning when Matt is not using the “wire.” I am lying here SWEATING in our bed…I despise not having central air-conditioning when it reached 89 degrees today. I know this may sound petty, but prior to living here, I have never lived one summer day of my life without central air. I long for the day when I can come into the house, from the hot outdoors, to the comfort of a cool house…to cuddle up in my blankets, in the summer, while the air conditioning is set to 68 degrees. So, I know it sounds petty and not environmentally friendly but I do not care. When I am hot, I feel crabby…and I average probably 2 "good" hours of sleep per night. I NEED more sleep than this per night. The girls and I had so much fun at the pool today so I want the summer temps during the day and 50-60s during the night- think that can happen?!-lol
Well, thank you once again for “listening” to me vent…just some really LONG days here sometimes! I would say right now, the pros and cons are equal re: this “adventure.” BUT, again, I did expect the first 6 months to be the most difficult. I feel like I am finally going to have things down and then we will be headed back to the USA—BUT, this will be a good thing:)!!
Have a great weekend everyone. A BIG Happy Anniversary to my parents AND sister and Blake on Sunday, August 21st! We will be thinking of them celebrating…my sister and Blake at a Bed & Breakfast and my parents at the State Fair!! Have fun!
I will Blog again on Sunday!! Love & Prayers…
| A sweet sisters moment...splashing each other and BOTH enjoying it:) |
| Elle sitting on the sprinkler:) |


Oh my! I just send you an email. What a week it has been . . . Being sick and trying to parent is so hard! And then the language. . . . Keep up your positive attitude- you are a tough-chick :) Hugs to all of you!
ReplyDelete