Also, while trying to search for Rice Krispy Cereal, at a store we usually do not visit, we found microwave popcorn for our Friday night family movie night! We have found that the Germans must not like popcorn because 1) it is not in the grocery stores and 2) we cannot even locate an old-fashioned popcorn maker! But, we finally found some…now, I just need to go back tomorrow and buy all of it…now that we know it tastes delicious (we had to try some already tonight).
On the way out of the grocery store, I thought we would try some of the food from the VERY COMMON food vendor stands. I see these stands at various locations, on various dates, throughout different towns. This particular stand is often outside our most visited grocery store. I “THOUGHT” I ordered spare ribs and rotisserie chicken… when we got home, I realized my super-duper German language skills ordered us spare ribs and ham. The ribs were very, very dry and the ham was very, very fatty and disgusting…Elle said, “let us never get food from that place again Mom;” I could not agree with her more!! But, now, we can make grilled cheese and have microwave popcorn for movie night, so our trip was successful. Oh yeah…and about our Rice Krispy bars…after not being able to locate Rice Krispy cereal (or anything similar), overcooking the marshmellows and using way too much butter I indeed cannot make “German” Rice Krispy bars…our bars could have been mistaken for a dark cement block once they cooled. We will try again…
Lastly, this morning Kim came over for a short to watch the girls while I took my walk/jog, did laundry and got us packed for our upcoming weekend trip to Luxembourg City, Luxembourg. Elle had her German books laid out so Kim could read them to her. Matt has been “trying” to read these books in the evenings, so that the girls hear more German, but his German is not quite like Kim’s German—LOL. Also, Kim created this cute little chart with common items and their German names (see below). Elle was very pleased with the chart and had to show it to me when I returned from my walk. Kim speaks very good English (has a lot of family in California) but her first language is German of course. It is so cute to hear Elle speak German…she of course makes up a lot of words, but at least she is intrigued by new languages and is not afraid to begin tackling learning German (she is less intimidated than I am!!). Sometimes though, she counts to 15 in Spanish and tells me she is counting in German. I have to remind her that she is talking Spanish; I do not think when I was 3 I was reciting any numbers besides the ones in English:)!!
So, as I mentioned before, this weekend we are traving to a new country- Luxembourg. We plan to visit:
-the Casemates du Bock. The great cliffs of the Petrusse and Alzette valles are honeycombed with tunnels, stairways and chambers called the Casemates, hollowewed out of rock during the 17th and 18th centuries.
-the Cathedrale Notre-Dame
-the Palais Grand-Ducal
We are hoping for some nice summer weather (by this I mean in the mid-70s and not in the 60s like it always is) for our travels. I will Blog again Sunday evening and will have some pictures of our trip to share. Have a safe and happy weekend!
Good night…with lots of love from my side of the world to yours...
The Brockmann's would LOVE to send you some microwave popcorn and Rice Krispies but we have to check with the post office to make sure this is possible ;) Please let me know what kind of popcorn you'd prefer!
ReplyDeleteThanks and we love reading your blog!
Shauna Brockmann
Lake Crystal, MN